Jamil delivered a presentation “Towards Innovative Graduation Projects” on the workshop organized by the Jordanian Engineers association for Engineers students on the 8th of September 2013.
The association in collaboration with Amman Chamber of Industry is supporting the students in their innovative projects. Graduation projects competition was launched on the same workshop. Further details on the following link
The workshop Program
“Innovation and Creativity stimulation in organizations” A workshop delivered at 3rd Symposium with the theme “Professional Training in Developing Human Capital”, 17-18 September 2013, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia organized by King Khaled Eye Specialist Hospital
Siemens, Toyota, IKEA, Google, Apple, TATA, P&G and Skype are some of the most successful companies in the world; nevertheless they are among the top innovative companies. Those companies managed to reach to this stage not only through investment but also through stimulating systematically creativity and innovation in their organizations.
Thinking out of the box and creativity cannot be implemented by demanding employees to do so, because of the nature of human thinking which can be creative only under suitable environment and the right conditions.
This workshop will discuss how creativity of employees can be stimulated through policies, methods and processes.
تحفيزالإبتكار والإبداع في المؤسسات
وسايب هي بعض من أكر TATA، P & G ، وجوجل، وأبل ،IKEA ، سمنز، تويوتا
الركات نجاحا في العالم، ومن أكر الركات المبتكرة . تمكنت تلك الركات
للوصول إلى هذه المرحلة ليس فقط من خال الاستثمار ولكن أيضا من خال
تحفز الإبداع والابتار بشل منهي في منظماتهم.
التفكر خارج الصندوق والإبداع لا يمكن تحقيقها من خال الطلب من الموظفن
أن يبدعوا . حيث أن طبيعة التفكر البري يمكنها أن تبدع فقط حال توفر البيئة
المناسبة والظروف الملائمة والصحيحة.
ورشة العمل هذه ستناقش كيف يمكن تحفز إبداع الموظفن من خال السياسات
Creative thinking program
“Thinking is a skill; it can be developed and improved if one knows how”- Edward de Bono
The purpose of thinking is to collect information and to make the best possible use of it. Because of the way the mind works to crate fixed concept patterns we cannot make the best use of new information unless we have some means for restructuring the old patterns and bringing them up to date. Our traditional methods of thinking teach us how to refine such patterns and establish their validity. But we shall always make less than the best use of available information unless we know how to create new patterns and escape from the dominance of the old ones. Vertical thinking is concerned with proving or developing concept patterns. Lateral thinking is concerned with restructuring such patterns (insight) and provoking new ones (which we can call creativity). Lateral and vertical thinking are complementary. Skill in both is necessary. Yet the emphasis in education has always been exclusively on vertical thinking (critical and logical thinking).
In order to practice the Lateral Thinking, De Bono was the first to suggest several methods such as the six thinking hats which supports the human mind to look at problems from new perspectives, which enables finding solutions to problems in different ways and create ideas for novel products.
This creative thinking program will help the youth to learn the creative thinking and how to stimulate their minds to look at problems in different ways to find non-traditional solutions.
Through the course not only techniques related to lateral thinking and six thinking hats will be used but also other techniques will be discussed such as mind maps that can help to visualize the thinking to focus and have overall view of problems.
In order to have creative thinking it is important to be able to collect wide range of information and remember them on demand. For that memory enhancement tools will be studied using creative thinking techniques such as mind maps for visualization and imagination.
Moreover creative thinking is used to generate ideas and solutions for that within this program, some techniques will be discussed to generate new ideas such as brain storming and random words to switch the thinking context. All that will be combined within the six thinking hats technique.
- Introduce creative thinking techniques (Lateral thinking and six thinking hats method, etc.)
- Introduce how the creativity can be learned, practiced and stimulated on demand
- Increase the motivation of the youth to solve problems in creative ways
kids of age 14-16 years old
- Thinking, creativity and minds
- Creativity barriers
- Creativity Techniques
- Mind maps
- Lateral and Vertical Thinking
- Creativity and memory enhancement
- Ideas Generation techniques
- Brain storming sessions
- Random words
- Six Thinking Hats
- White Hat (Facts and Information)
- Red Hat (Emotions and Feelings)
- Black Hat (Cautious and Careful)
- Yellow Hat (Speculative-Positive)
- Green Hat (Creative Thinking)
- Blue Hat (Control of Thinking)
The program was conducted for 2 groups of distinguished kids of Jerusalem schools in June 2013.
Selected slides of the program:
مواضيع برنامج التفكير الابداعي لطلبة المدارس
– الإبداع ومعوقاته
– تقنيات الإبداع
– الخرائط الذهنية
– التفكير العمودي والجانبي
– تطبيقات التفكير الجانبي
– الابداع وتنمية الذاكرة
– تقنيات توليد الأفكارو حل المشاكل
– العصف الذهني
– الكلمات العشوائية
– قبعات التفكير الست
– القبعة البيضاء (الحقائق ومعلومات)
– القبعة الحمراء (المشاعر وعواطف)
– القبعة السوداء (الحذر والحرص)
– القبعة الصفراء (الإيجابية)
– القبعة الخضراء (التفكير الإبداعي)
– القبعة الزرقاء (مراقبة التفكير)
In the last few weeks I was under stress and wanted to relax and do something I have not done for many years. I thought of many things and looked around the home without finding anything interesting that might be relaxing.
While I was looking at my library of books, I noticed on the top shelf an old box that I bought for more than 7 years but never opened. It is a Jigsaw Puzzle, in box, with a picture on the top of a country side view with trees and houses. I opened the box and just started putting the pieces together and piece by piece solving it. It was surprisingly fun and relaxing. Puzzles have grown into a daily activity for me.
So what this has to do with innovation?
continue reading the article on Innovation Excellence website
University Technology Transfer for Economic Development in Arab Countries presentation on the 2nd Saudi Intellectual Property Forum
on the 24th of April 2013, Riyadh Saudi Arabia
Innovation, Technology and Business Management
- Open Source the next big thing in technology transfer 2008, IAMOT the 17th international conference on Management of Technology, 6th-10th April, 2008
- Promoting Investment in Science and Technology in Islamic Development Bank Member Countries 2007, in IDB Science Development Network
- What kind of investments in technology do we have in the Arab World? 2007
- Free Open Source as a Technology Transfer tool in the Arab World, November 2006, Master’s Thesis, published at the MIT Open Source
- Driving Innovation through Research & Design incubation in the Arab world, June 2006, Graduation Project
- Guideline questions in writing your business plan.2005
- Work-life conflict paper during MBA course 2003 Download MS-DOC file
- Introduction Intellectual Property Rights 2002 Download MS-DOC file
The success and the development of nations are based on the degree of creativity of its people and the innovations they create in various fields. In oder to enhance creativity, the intellectual works and the creative people must be recognized. Here comes what is known as the Intellectual Property (IP) Rights.
The IP rights recognize the authenticity of the creative works and preserve the creators’ rights to commercialize their works for the help of the humanity. The IP rights protect all forms of creative works such as innovations, scientific researches, industry, art or literature, etc. …..
This program will encourage youth to get involved in creative activities and help them to understand the value of their works in terms of recognition and commercializing the results of their creative works. Moreover it will prepare them to understand how the global trades are done beyond import and export of goods. Specially since we live nowadays in a global and highly competitive market where innovations are the only key for survival and continuous improvements in quality and price reduction.
By Preparing both the youth and the school teachers in understanding the value of the intellectual and creative works, they will be encouraged to invent and create new pieces of Arts and generate income for them. Moreover it will help them in understanding the value of IP and citation while preparing assignments and researches.
This program is prepared with the focus on the youth between 10-18 years old, as well as for their teachers. The program is based on the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) materials which uses comics and booklets suitable for youth to provide the IP concepts in simple way based on the daily activities youth face. Such activities includes legal implications behind mp3, videos and software programs.
Sample Material of the program
One hour seminar at Mawhiba, Saudi Arabia
Uploaded on authorSTREAM by jamilkhatib
Video recording of Patents for kids at Mawhiba Saudi Arabia
Electronics and Technology
- Introduction to open-source hardware development 1st July 2004, An article in the Exclusive Features section in EEDesigns
- Introduction to FPGAs Download MS-DOC file
- Open Hardware designs for configurable computing paper; submitted to the FPL 2001 conference Download pdf file
- Introduction to ISDN Download MS-DOC file
- Introduction to CRC algorithms and implementations Download MS-DOC file
- Introduction to number system Download PDF file
- Introduction Floating point standards Download PDF file
- VHDL coding style
- Free chips for all: The status of open hardware designs, 2000, published at IBM’s open source developers work
- Open Hardware design trend paper; submitted to the FDL 2000 conferenceDownload pdf file
- Linux the operating system of the Future, 1999
- Introduction to Configurable Computing, 1998
- Introduction to Games Programming, Bsc. Graduation Project 1997