Creative thinking program
“Thinking is a skill; it can be developed and improved if one knows how”- Edward de Bono
The purpose of thinking is to collect information and to make the best possible use of it. Because of the way the mind works to crate fixed concept patterns we cannot make the best use of new information unless we have some means for restructuring the old patterns and bringing them up to date. Our traditional methods of thinking teach us how to refine such patterns and establish their validity. But we shall always make less than the best use of available information unless we know how to create new patterns and escape from the dominance of the old ones. Vertical thinking is concerned with proving or developing concept patterns. Lateral thinking is concerned with restructuring such patterns (insight) and provoking new ones (which we can call creativity). Lateral and vertical thinking are complementary. Skill in both is necessary. Yet the emphasis in education has always been exclusively on vertical thinking (critical and logical thinking).
In order to practice the Lateral Thinking, De Bono was the first to suggest several methods such as the six thinking hats which supports the human mind to look at problems from new perspectives, which enables finding solutions to problems in different ways and create ideas for novel products.
This creative thinking program will help the youth to learn the creative thinking and how to stimulate their minds to look at problems in different ways to find non-traditional solutions.
Through the course not only techniques related to lateral thinking and six thinking hats will be used but also other techniques will be discussed such as mind maps that can help to visualize the thinking to focus and have overall view of problems.
In order to have creative thinking it is important to be able to collect wide range of information and remember them on demand. For that memory enhancement tools will be studied using creative thinking techniques such as mind maps for visualization and imagination.
Moreover creative thinking is used to generate ideas and solutions for that within this program, some techniques will be discussed to generate new ideas such as brain storming and random words to switch the thinking context. All that will be combined within the six thinking hats technique.
- Introduce creative thinking techniques (Lateral thinking and six thinking hats method, etc.)
- Introduce how the creativity can be learned, practiced and stimulated on demand
- Increase the motivation of the youth to solve problems in creative ways
kids of age 14-16 years old
- Thinking, creativity and minds
- Creativity barriers
- Creativity Techniques
- Mind maps
- Lateral and Vertical Thinking
- Creativity and memory enhancement
- Ideas Generation techniques
- Brain storming sessions
- Random words
- Six Thinking Hats
- White Hat (Facts and Information)
- Red Hat (Emotions and Feelings)
- Black Hat (Cautious and Careful)
- Yellow Hat (Speculative-Positive)
- Green Hat (Creative Thinking)
- Blue Hat (Control of Thinking)
The program was conducted for 2 groups of distinguished kids of Jerusalem schools in June 2013.
Selected slides of the program:
مواضيع برنامج التفكير الابداعي لطلبة المدارس
– الإبداع ومعوقاته
– تقنيات الإبداع
– الخرائط الذهنية
– التفكير العمودي والجانبي
– تطبيقات التفكير الجانبي
– الابداع وتنمية الذاكرة
– تقنيات توليد الأفكارو حل المشاكل
– العصف الذهني
– الكلمات العشوائية
– قبعات التفكير الست
– القبعة البيضاء (الحقائق ومعلومات)
– القبعة الحمراء (المشاعر وعواطف)
– القبعة السوداء (الحذر والحرص)
– القبعة الصفراء (الإيجابية)
– القبعة الخضراء (التفكير الإبداعي)
– القبعة الزرقاء (مراقبة التفكير)